Treatment of mild to moderate Covid-19 in adults with a positive SARS-COV-2 diagnostic test and who have at least one risk factor for developing severe illness.
- The recommended dose: 800 mg (2 capsules) molnupiravir is taken orally every 12 hours for 5 days.
- The safety and efficacy of molnupiravir when administered for periods longer than 5 days have not been established. Molnupiravir should be administered as soon as possible after a diagnosis of Covid-19 has been made and within 5 days of symptom onset.
- If the patient misses a dose of molnupiravir within 10 hours of the time it is usually taken, the patient should take as soon as possible and resume the normal dosing schedule.
- If a patient misses a dose by more than 10 hours, the patient should not take the missed dose and instead take the next dose at the regularly scheduled time. The patient should not double the dose to make up for a missed dose.
Limitations of use:
- Molnupiravir is not used for longer than 5 consecutive days.
- Molnupiravir is not used for pre-exposure or post-exposure prophylaxis for prevention of Covid-19.
- Molnupiravir is not used in patients less than 18 years of age.
Elderly: No dose adjustment of molnupiravir is required based on age.
Renal impairment, hepatic impairment: No dose adjustment is required for patients with renal impairment.
Paediatric population: The safety and efficacy of molnupiravir in patients below 18 years of age have not been established. No data are available. Molnupiravir is not recommended for use in this population.
For oral use, it can be taken with or without food.
The capsules should be swallowed whole with a sufficient amount of fluid (e.g., a glass of water). The capsules should not be opened, crushed or chewed.