- Reducing urate/uric acid formation in conditions where urate/uric acid deposition has already occurred (e.g. gouty arthritis, skin tophi, nephrolithiasis) or is a predictable clinical risk (e.g. treatment of malignancy potentially leading to acute uric acid nephropathy).
- Management of 2,8-dihydroxyadenine (2,8-DHA) renal stones related to deficient activity of adenine phosphoribosyltransferase.
- Management of recurrent mixed calcium oxalate renal stones in the presence of hyperuricosuria, when fluid, dietary and similar measures have failed.
Should the daily dosage exceed 300 mg and gastrointestinal intolerance be manifested, a divided doses regimen may be appropriate.
- Adults: 100 mg/day, increased only if the serum urate response is unsatisfactory. The following dosage schedules are suggested: 100 to 200 mg daily (mild conditions), 100 to 200 mg daily (moderately severe conditions), 700 to 900 mg daily (severe conditions); or 2 to 10 mg/kg bodyweight/day should be used if necessary.
- Children under 15 years in malignant conditions (especially leukaemia) and certain enzyme disorders such as Lesch-Nyhan syndrome: 10 to 20 mg/kg bodyweight/day up to a maximum of 400 mg daily
- Renal or hepatic impairment: dosage adjustment is required, severe renal insufficiency: < 100 mg/day or to use single doses of 100 mg at longer intervals than one, dialysis: an alternative schedule of 300 – 400 mg after each dialysis.
- Elderly: The lowest dosage which produces satisfactory urate reduction should be used.
- Treatment of high urate turnover conditions, e.g. neoplasia, Lesch-Nyhan syndrome: It is advisable to correct existing hyperuricaemia and/or hyperuricosuria with allopurinol before starting cytotoxic therapy. Dosage of allopurinol should be at the lower end of the recommended dosage schedule. If urate nephropathy or other pathology has compromised renal function, the advice given in dosage in renal impairment should be followed.
- Use of suitable dosage forms is recommended when using doses of 100 mg, 200 mg and 700 mg.
Allopurinol STELLA 300 mg may be taken orally once a day after a meal.